Service Academy Nominations
Frequently asked questions for those seeking a Service Academy nomination. You may also fill out a 2023 Service Academy Nominations Packet.
WHAT IS A NOMINATION?
Members of Congress may nominate applicants who meet the eligibility requirements established by law. A candidate may seek a nomination from the following:
- A member of the U.S. House of Representatives who represents the congressional district in which the candidate resides
- Both U.S. Senators from his or her state
- Apply directly to the Vice-President of the United States
WHAT ARE THE BASIC ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS?
Each applicant for a nomination must meet the following eligibility requirements as of July 1st of the year of admission to an academy:
- Age: Be at least 17 years old, but not have passed the 23rd birthday
- Citizenship: Must be a U.S. citizen
- Marital Status: Must be unmarried, not pregnant, and without legal obligation to support children or other dependents
- Residence: Must reside within the boundaries of the 2nd Congressional District of California.
- Skill / Fitness: Must meet the medical, physical, and academic requirements of the Academy.
WHO DO I CONTACT TO REQUEST AN APPLICATION?
Click here to access the nomination packet, or contact my San Rafael Office at (415) 258-9657. The completed packet can then be sent to 999 Fifth Ave. Suite 290 San Rafael, CA 94901, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org in a pdf.
WHEN DO I APPLY FOR A NOMINATION?
My nomination application window opens September 1st of each year for candidates who are high school seniors or who have already graduated.
WHAT IS THE DEADLINE FOR COMPLETING A NOMINATION FILE?
The deadline for submitting a nomination packet to my District Office is November 1, 2023. Please contact my office at 415-258-9657 or email Nick Redmond at Nicholas.Redmond@mail.house.gov for more specifics.
WHAT MUST BE INCLUDED IN MY NOMINATION FILE?
A complete nomination file consists of the following items:
- Signed and dated 2023 Service Academy Nominations Packet
- Student Information Form
- Counselor's Appraisal Form
- Certified copy of high school academic transcript
- Certified copy of college academic transcript (if applicable)
- Report of SAT and/or ACT
- SAT Code: 0255
- ACT Code: 7241
- Verified class rank and cumulative GPA
- Letters of recommendation (optional, but highly encouraged; maximum of 3)
- Resume of extracurricular activities
- Personal essay (~500 words) explaining why the candidate wants to attend the Academy and why they feel they should be nominated
- Recent photograph
If you are submitting your packet via email, please send all documents in PDF format. Candidates should limit their submissions to only the requested documents. Candidates may submit up to 2 pages of supplemental documentation (awards, letters of commendation, etc.).
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER I HAVE COMPLETED MY NOMINATION FILE?
Applicants who submit a completed nomination file will be scheduled for an interview in December.
WHAT CRITERIA IS USED IN SELECTING CANDIDATES?
Nominations are based on a "whole person" evaluation. Factors such as academic achievements, extra-curricular activities, leadership skills, physical aptitude, character and motivation are taken into consideration and compared with other applicants.
HOW MANY ACADEMIES ARE THERE?
There are five service academies.
- U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York
- U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland
- U.S. Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, New York
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy at New London, Connecticut
ARE THE REQUIREMENTS THE SAME FOR ALL OF THE SERVICE ACADEMIES?
No. Although many of the qualifications are similar, each academy operates under its own admissions guidelines. Visit the academy of your choice via the websites noted for each academy's particular admissions qualifications. It is not necessary to seek a nomination to the Coast Guard Academy, as the U.S.C.G.A. accepts candidates based on their own testing criteria.
WHO SHOULD I ASK TO WRITE A LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION ON MY BEHALF?
Some of the people applicants typically seek recommendations from include teachers, counselors, employers, coaches, clergy, and scout leaders. You may submit a maximum of 3 letters of recommendation.
WILL I AUTOMATICALLY BE SELECTED BY THE ACADEMY AFTER I RECEIVE A NOMINATION?
No. You will be placed among a select group of nominees, and the academy of your choice will make the final decision. If selected, you will receive an offer of admission (an appointment) directly from the academy.
WHAT IF I CHOOSE MORE THAN ONE ACADEMY? WILL I BE LIMITED TO A SINGLE NOMINATION?
No. You can be nominated to multiple academies depending on how well you have competed among this year's pool of candidates. It is also possible to win multiple appointments.
WHEN WILL I KNOW IF I HAVE BEEN OFFERED AN APPOINTMENT BY AN ACADEMY?
Academies will begin to notify candidates of their admission status in February. All offers of appointment are generally sent out by May.