Each spring, a nation-wide high school arts competition is sponsored by the Members of the U.S. House of Representatives. The Artistic Discovery Contest is an opportunity to recognize and encourage the artistic talent in the nation, as well as in our congressional district.
The Artistic Discovery Contest is open to all high school students in the 2nd District. The overall winner of our district's competition will be displayed for one year in the U.S. Capitol. The exhibit in Washington will also include artwork from other contest winners nationwide.
Artwork entered in the contest may be up to 26 inches in height by 26 inches in width by 4 inches in depth (including the frame). The artwork may be:
- Paintings - including oil, acrylics, and watercolor
- Drawings - including pastels, colored pencil, pencil, charcoal, ink, and markers
- Prints - including lithographs, silkscreen, and block prints
- Mixed Media
- Computer Generated Art
- All entries must be an original in concept, design and execution. Please review the official 2023 Art Competition Rules for Students and Teachers for more information. All submissions must be submitted electronically through the form below by Friday, April 21, 2023. Pictures of your completed art piece must be emailed to email@example.com. We recommend viewing this video for advice on how to photograph your art. Do not mail your submission.
- All students must complete the 2023 Art Competition Submission Form.
The Congressional Art Competition began in 1982 to provide an opportunity for members of Congress to encourage and recognize the artistic talents of their young constituents. Since then, over 650,000 high school students have been involved with the nationwide competition.
If you would like further information, please contact our San Rafael District office at (415) 258-9657.