Rep. Huffman Announces New Plan to Resolve SMART Traffic Concerns
Washington, D.C.- Congressman Jared Huffman (D-San Rafael) today announced new plans to resolve traffic concerns that arose from Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit’ (SMART) pending Larkspur extension and anticipated impacts on the downtown transit area related to displaced buses.
At Rep. Huffman’s request, jurisdictional partners forged an agreement to reconfigure San Rafael’s Bettini Transit Station to allow for buses to remain in operation on the same grounds and to not encroach onto City streets as previously proposed during the construction of the Larkspur extension.
“Thanks to all the concerned parties leaning in--and some gifted engineers--SMART and the Golden Gate Bridge District conceived a new plan to eliminate the need for any buses to spill onto side streets entirely during the construction of the Larkspur extension," said Rep. Huffman. "Furthermore, the group agreed to work in earnest together to craft a permanent solution for the transit center in the next five years. It goes to show how when parties at conflict roll up their sleeves and work in cooperation toward common solutions, so much can be accomplished.”
Construction bids for the Larkspur extension are underway with construction planned to start this summer. Modifications to the transit center will occur over a series of weekends.
Meeting Participants included:
· Congressman Jared Huffman, (District Director, Jenny Callaway)
· SMART GM Farhad Mansourian
· SMART Board member, Kate Sears
· San Rafael Mayor Gary Phillips
· San Rafael Council member Marybeth Bushey
· San Rafael City Manager Jim Schutz
· San Rafael Public Works Director Bill Guerin
· Golden Gate Bridge Distrct (GGBD) GM Denis Mulligan
· GGBD Board Member Diet Stroeh
· Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) Board Member Damon
· MTC ED Steve Heminger
· Transportation Authority of Marin (TAM) Board Chair Stephanie Moultan
· TAM ED Dianne Steinhauser
· Marin Transit GM Nancy Whelan
· San Rafael City Consultant Steve Kinsey
· Larkspur City Council Member Dan Hilmer
· Larkspur City Manager Dan Schwarz